Duration: 3 Days
Delivery method: In-house
The one-person Compliance function is a comparative rarity today. Most functions operate with a team of people in diverse locations. These teams need to be managed, motivated, independent, skilled and adequately resourced. They also need to ensure that they are tackling their raison d’être, namely the identification, management and measurement...
The one-person Compliance function is a comparative rarity today. Most functions operate with a team of people in diverse locations. These teams need to be managed, motivated, independent, skilled and adequately resourced. They also need to ensure that they are tackling their raison d’être, namely the identification, management and measurement of Compliance Risk. This is a significant challenge for any Compliance Officer.
This module will demonstrate the approach required by senior Compliance Officers to run an effective function and show practical techniques for addressing Compliance Risk. Conflicts of Interest often emerge within a diverse function and can be an area in which Compliance Risk clearly manifests itself. This module addresses conflicts of interest and practical ways in which to manage them through a number of realistic and highly practical case studies. Working with conflicts and other advanced compliance issues requires negotiation and influencing skills. These are covered by placing them very firmly within the context of daily challenges of a senior Compliance Officer.
This course can be taken as a stand-alone module or as part of the Advanced Diploma in Compliance & Financial Crime. The Diploma programme has been developed by CCL Academy in association with the ICMA Centre, Henley Business School, University of Reading.
Who is this for?
This course is suitable for Senior Compliance & AML Staff who already have a number of years experience in a Compliance, AML or Regulatory function.
How to Build and Develop a World-Class Compliance Function
- What are the significant compliance planning and budgeting challenges?
- Identification, measurement and control of Compliance Risk
- Building monitoring, training and advisory programmes to address compliance risk
- Recruiting and developing a high-performing and trusted team
- How to motivate a skilled, experienced Compliance team
- What to do if one of your team gets it wrong
Advanced Conflicts of Interest
- Approach some of the more challenging conflicts of interest facing a regulated firm
- The holistic approach needed to identify and manage conflicts
- The role of senior management in conflicts management and how to deal with management at a senior level
- The involvement of the Compliance Function in conflict management
- Case studies - specific conflicts from management and compliance perspectives
- Group work: consider, in a safe environment, actual or theoretical conflicts
- The role of Compliance in reviewing your firm’s remuneration policy
Influencing and Negotiation Skills for Compliance Officers
- The areas of a senior Compliance Officer’s work in which influencing and negotiation skills are required.
- Key tips and techniques using realistic scenarios.
- Exercise: apply these techniques in further scenarios.
After attending this course, participants will:
- Understand what constitutes a world-class Compliance function
- Know how to identify and measure compliance risk
- Know how to identify and manage difficult conflicts of interest
- Know how to motivate a skilled, experienced Compliance team
- Appreciate the interpersonal skills required to be an effective, senior compliance professional